Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Book #102

In the Best Families
by Rex Stout


I liked this one far, far better than the first Nero Wolfe book; I realized with this one that these books are not mysteries so much as legal thrillers of a kind. You're not really expected to work out the murder, though if ever you happen to know what happened before Wolfe reveals it in the last five pages, you should be proud of yourself; most of the book is taken up with the search for evidence, for proof, and, of course, in the description of the day-to-day life of the main characters. This one broke the mold a bit because the household is broken up by circumstances, so I'm still not sure if I'll like the majority of the books when so much of them will be spent watching Archie fume as Wolfe goes off to the plant rooms, or watching Wolfe fume when a client has to come over, but I think I'm willing to keep going through the series, at least one last time. I did enjoy this one quite a lot -- Archie got me to laugh out loud at least once, and smile half a dozen times. Not too bad, really.

No comments: