Sunday, September 21, 2008

Book #73

Incubus Dreams
by Laurell K. Hamilton


This one was good, but not as good as the other books in the series so far. I liked the new development of the second triumvirate with Nathaniel and Damian (Though I admit I got annoyed that the publishers misspelled the word "triumvirate" throughout; you'd think that they'd put a little time and effort into editing a novel from an author as successful and prominent as Hamilton), and I like the new character Requiem, and I like the added complications of the London vampires losing their master and the arrival of Wicked and Truth and the flaws in Malcolm's Church of Eternal Life and the mysterious vampire villain, scarred worse than Asher, and the increase in power of the original triumvirate. All of those were interesting, and they all made me want to read the rest of the books immediately, right now, so I can find out what happens -- except I know Hamilton's still writing these books, so there's no way for me to learn everything that will happen. Both good and bad, that.

The sex was a bit much. Not that it was too dirty -- I liked the scenes, I liked the way Hamilton described it, I was very happy to see Anita coming to terms with her own preferences, and also to see Richard taking a step toward real reconciliation with Anita and his place in the triumvirate and so on -- but only because there was so much of it. It took up too much of the book. I saw the need for all of it, between the ardeur and the need for more power to fuel the new triumvirate, but I wish there could have been another way to handle the problem, so there could have been more of a focus on the non-bedroom action. But this has never been a series that has shied away from graphic description; Hamilton never does a fade at the climax of an important moment, ending a chapter and then skipping ahead a few hours. It's one of the things I like about this series; it gives it weight and drama, as the gritty, tough moments are all taken seriously. When Anita kills someone, we get to experience every second, every reaction, every thought and feeling she has about it, even the negative ones -- and the scene when she executes a vampire with her pistol is a prime example of that. When Anita has sex with someone, it's the same thing, and it keeps the sexual elements -- which are truly integral pieces of the story, rather than cheap thrills added to cover up weak parts of the plot -- from becoming boring or tawdry. These are important experiences for Anita, and so they should be equally important to the book and the reader, and I'm glad that Hamilton was able to face them squarely and write them as honestly as she writes everything else. Myself, I'd have been blushing and giggling way too much to pull this off, so I have to tip my hat to her for doing what I couldn't.

I'm just glad I get to read it.

No comments: