Saturday, May 10, 2008

Book #28

White Knight
by Jim Butcher


Looking for something I knew I would enjoy more than the last one, I went for White Knight, the -- ninth? tenth? -- book in the Harry Dresden series. This one was not the best in the series, though it was worlds better than Ink Exchange, as one would expect. I liked seeing the different strains of White Court vamps, especially when we got to see all of their powers in full bloom, so to speak, when Harry and Ramirez had to confront them all at the gathering. I liked how capable Lara Raith is at manipulation, though of course I appreciate that Harry is always able to find a way through her tangled web. I thought their final escape from the cave was great -- though I didn't think a whole lot of the super-ghouls that were the ultimate bad guy; smacked of Buffy and the Neander-Vamps. Especially the whole big-showdown-in-a-cave, with a gate to the underworld that they all come through -- you get the picture. And this book didn't have nearly enough Bob in it.

I did, however, love the resolution of the Lasciel/Denarian subplot that's been running through the last five books. I liked the way it worked, and I loved the message it gave: that everyone has a choice, and the simple fact of that choice makes us better people -- when we recognize and acknowledge the choice, that is. I feel like it makes me a better teacher when I realize that I'm not actually trapped into teaching, nor am I trapped into specific lesson plans or class structures or anything like that. Hey, maybe I should keep that in mind with my online class, the giant crock o' crap; maybe I should be willing to experiment and put my own spin on my assignments, rather than looking for exactly what the professor wants to see. I'd like to know my grade first, though.

Anyway (Sorry about the rant -- I was just working on my project for this week, so I'm a little preoccupied) I liked Thomas's part in this, and I loved Mouse, of course -- I dig his super-bark -- and Elaine was fine, though not a terribly interesting character. I liked her resolution, too, how she's going to become a champion of all the lesser magic-users who aren't good enough for the White Council; you just know that's going to come back and slap them right in their elitist faces. Workers unite! I also liked the insight into Gentleman Johnny Marcone and his relationship with Dresden -- though I'm not really sure I buy the gangster-with-a-heart; can you really be ruthless and run all of Chicago's rackets without hurting innocents? Well, maybe; we are talking about a book about wizards here, so maybe I shouldn't complain about suspending my disbelief.

No comments: