Thursday, March 13, 2008

Book #14

Lamb
by Christopher Moore
(aka, The Best Book Ever)


And so I did. Lamb: the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. It was a reread, but it's been so long since I read the book -- the second Christopher Moore book I read and the one that turned Toni and I into fans -- that I didn't remember anything but the broad strokes.

I actually finished this book long enough ago that I forgot I read it, so I'll keep this short and sweet. It made me feel better to read it, and it confirmed its place as one of my all-time favorite books; still able to make me laugh out loud, still able to make me care about religion and almost enough to make me want to believe that Jesus was somebody. Not quite enough to do that last one, but Moore says in his author's note that he didn't intend the book to convert anyone, just to tell a story. And that it does, better than almost any other book I know.

I still like the beginning best, when Josh and Biff are kids in love with Mary Magdalene; Biff's precocious self is priceless. I love that he's in love with Josh's mom, and talks about how he'll marry her when Joseph dies and be Joshua's father. I like the parts about Joshua having trouble understanding his place and dealing with his gifts, and I like the elements of modern humor in an ancient context -- and a pretty realistic depiction of that context. My other favorite part is in the Buddhist monastery with Gaspar; I love the monks, the training, and the parables that Gaspar is always spouting.

Just a great book. I'll have to try to wait a few more years and then read it again.

1 comment:

unmitigated me said...

This was also my first introduction to Christopher Moore. I've read LOTS of him since, and I'll recommend The Stupidest Angel as well as A Dirty Job as my other favorites. Dirty Job is right up there with Lamb for a mix of sweet story and hilarity. And You Suck is a pretty good read, with a couple characters appearing from Dirty Job.