Saturday, January 19, 2008

Book #6

You Suck, by Christopher Moore

I finally read my last Christmas book, and my last Christopher Moore novel (until he writes another one, of course). You Suck, the sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends (which I read last year) was a good one; I liked it better than BsF, for the most part. I loved the blue-dyed hooker, though she got annoying as soon as she turned vamp, and I love the premise that the Animals spent $500,000 on her because they all wanted to "bone a Smurf." Toni was right that both Tommy and Jody are irritating, but Abby Normal made up for all of that, particularly with her badass conversations as recorded in her diary, and her formal descriptions of death and of vampires -- that she continues to call Tommy The Vampyre Flood, and My Dark Master, and refers to herself as one of the Lost Children of the Night and such, bemoaning and reveling in her own power and darkness, while at the same time talking about her need for Mochaccinos and how much she hates her sister and her hilarious gangsta lingo, is just brilliant. Makes the book, for me. Anyway, I liked it a lot. Definitely has a better ending than the first one: I think it's even romantic, and it's certainly the only solution for Tommy and Jody. I love how Moore makes everything work out in the end, though he usually takes out at least one of the characters -- I love that he thought of a way to do that and yet bring them back to their old selves, in this one. I was pissed when Gustavo died, but hey, everything worked out well in the end. Sweet.

No comments: